Subject: Connectionists: Workshop on Complex Brain Dynamics, Sleep and Consciousness, Dresden, June 2009
From: Eckehard Olbrich <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:48:31 +0100
List-Id: Discussion and announcement of events related to neural computation <connectionists.cs.cmu.edu>

Dear Collegues

Generously supported by the Max Planck Institute for the Physics of
Complex Systems in Dresden (Germany) we would like to announce the
following workshop and associated seminar, and invite interested
scientists to apply for participation.

Regards
Peter Achermann
Eckehard Olbrich
Thomas Wennekers

                     Workshop & Seminar on
"Complex dynamics in large-scale interacting brain networks:
      Towards physical models of sleep and consciousness"

       Workshop: 20-25.06.2009      Seminar: 8-20.06.2009

        LOCATION: Max Planck Institute for the Physics of
             Complex Systems, Dresden, Germany

        http://www.pks.mpg.de/~codybs09/

Recent developments in the physically realistic modeling of functional
systems of the mammalian brain ask for an ever increasing need to
develop novel concepts and overarching theories that allow to link the
microscopic dynamics of neural circuits with brain functions on the
systems level. The workshop specifically aims at debating the
state-of-the-art concepts and theories for the physics of large-scale
brain activity and its relation to ongoing computational processes in
the brain. Out of this broad area, the workshop will focus on sleep,
consciousness and memory. The seminar & workshop will provide an
outstanding opportunity to bring together researchers working in the
relevant sub-domains in order to confront theories and concepts with
recent experimental results as well as the latest developments in
computational modelling and simulation.

Invited speakers:

Maxim Bazhenov, University of California Riverside, USA
Steven Bressler, Florida Atlantic University, USA
Jens Christian Claussen, University Lübeck, Germany
Vincenco Crunelli, Cardiff School of Biosciences, UK
Alain Destexhe, UNIC CNRS, France
Jürgen Fell, University Bonn, Germany
Karl Friston, UCL, UK
Sean Hill, EPFL, Switzerland
Reto Huber, University Children's Hospital Zürich, Switzerland
Lutz Jäncke, University Zürich, Switzerland
Jürgen Jost, Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences, Germany
Jürgen Kurths, Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, Germany
Pierre Maquet, Liège University, Belgium
Marcello Massimini, University of Milan, Italy
Thomas Metzinger, University Mainz, Germany(*)
Roberto D. Pascual-Marqui, The KEY Institute for Brain-Mind Research,
Zurich, Switzerland
Peter Robinson, University of Sydney, Australia
Anil Seth, University of Sussex, UK
John Taylor, King's College London, UK(*)
Felix Tretter, Psychiatry, München-Haar, Germany
Istvan Ulbert, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Hungary
Pedro A. Valdes-Sosa, Cuban Neuroscience Center, Cuba
Marcus Wilson, University of Waikato, New Zealand

(*) to be confirmed

Applications for the seminar and/or workshop have to be submitted via
the workshop & seminar webpage http://www.pks.mpg.de/~codybs09/ until
February 28, 2009.

For successful applications, accommodation and subsistence will be
covered by MPIPKS. The registration fee is 100 Euro and should be paid
by all participants. Limited travel funds may be available, and if so,
preferentially for participants from developing countries.

Scientific Coordinators:
Peter Achermann (University Zürich, Switzerland)
Eckehard Olbrich (MPI for Mathematics in the Sciences, Leipzig, Germany)
Thomas Wennekers (University of Plymouth, U.K.)

Organization:
Claudia Pönisch (MPIPKS Dresden, Germany)

For further information see http://www.pks.mpg.de/~codybs09/ or e-mail
to: [email-masked]