Subject: Special issue on Evolutionary Robotics
From: Stefano Nolfi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:06:26 +0100

Call for Papers
        Special Issue on "Evolutionary Robotics: Looking forward"
                             Connection Science journal
                             Guest Editor : Stefano Nolfi

Over the last ten years, or more, Evolutionary Robotics has attracted
the interest of a large community of researchers with different
research interests and backgrounds, ranging from AI and robotics,
over biology and cognitive science, to the study of social behavior.

Continuous progress in evolutionary robotics has led to a substantial
maturation of the field and a clearer understanding of its potential
and of its current limitations. The goal of this special issue is to
encourage researchers working in this field not only to present their
most recent research, but also to consider its relationship to other
research fields, and to identify promising research directions for the
future.

Papers are welcome addressing (but not limited to) the following
topics:

Body and brain co-evolution, new materials
Collective robotics and self-assembling
Incremental and competitive evolution
Open-ended evolutionary processes
Evolution and evolvability
Evolution, development and learning
Representation and behavior
Communication and language
Cognitive capacities

Specifically, the submitted papers are expected to: (a) focus on one
or more related research topics, (b) explain the importance of the
topic, the open problems and the different approaches discussed in
the literature, (c) discuss the implications with respect to related
research fields, (d) discuss the advantages and drawbacks of the
evolutionary robotics approach with respect to other methodologies.

Submission Instructions
All manuscripts should be emailed to the guest editor
(Stefano Nolfi, [email-masked]) by May 15, 2004. Instructions for
authors are available from:
http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/authors/ccosauth.asp.
Manuscripts can either be full papers or shorter research notes
(up to 4000 words).

Important dates:

Deadline for paper submission: May 15, 2004
Notification of acceptance: August 1, 2004
Final manuscript due: September 1, 2004
Publication of the special issue: December, 2004

Guest Editor:

Stefano Nolfi
Institute of Cognitive Sciences and Technology, CNR
Viale Marx, 15 - 00137 - Rome - Italy
e-mail: [email-masked]
voice: 0039-06-86090231
fax: 0039-06-824737

About the Journal Connection Science is an interdisciplinary scientific
journal with a focus on the mechanisms of adaptation, cognition and
intelligent behaviour in both living and artificial systems. The traditional
scope of the journal has been broadened from connectionist research
and neural computing to encompass work on other adaptive
methods (e.g. evolutionary computing) as well as biologically inspired
techniques and algorithms in applied domains. Papers should be
related either to the behaviour of humans and/or other animals or to
the underlying mechanisms.
Papers submitted to the journal may be practical implementations,
theoretical research or philosophical discussions. The submission of
robotics research papers on issues raised by the interaction of
agents with the environment or with other agents is particularly
encouraged.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stefano Nolfi
Institute of Cognitive Sciences and Technologies, CNR
Viale Marx, 15 - 00137 - Rome - Italy
voice:  0039-06-86090231
fax:     0039-06-824737
e-mail:[email-masked]
www:  http://gral.ip.rm.cnr.it/nolfi