Subject: Connectionists: Two papers on chaotic synchronization in PNN
From: Takashi KANAMARU <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:16:01 +0900 (JST)
List-Id: Discussion and announcement of events related to neural computation <connectionists.cs.cmu.edu>

Dear all,

I would like to announce two papers on
chaotic synchronization in PNN are available
from the following page.
http://brain.cc.kogakuin.ac.jp/~kanamaru/research/

1) ##########

Takashi Kanamaru,
"Chaotic pattern transitions in pulse neural networks,"
Neural Networks, vol.20, issue 7 (2007) pp.781-790.

http://brain.cc.kogakuin.ac.jp/~kanamaru/research/kanamaru-nn2007.pdf

Simulator (Please note that Java applet will be launched.)
http://brain.cc.kogakuin.ac.jp/~kanamaru/Chaos/e/PnnAM/

[Abstract]
In models of associative memory composed of pulse neurons, 
chaotic pattern transitions where the pattern retrieved
by the network changes chaotically were found.
The network is composed of multiple modules of pulse neurons,
and when the inter-module connection strength decreased, 
the stability of pattern retrieval changed from stable to chaotic.
It was found that the mixed pattern of stored patterns
plays an important role in chaotic pattern transitions.

2) ##########

Takashi Kanamaru,
"Blowout bifurcation and on-off intermittency in pulse
neural networks with multiple modules,"
International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, vol.16,
no.11 (2006) pp.3309-3321. 

http://brain.cc.kogakuin.ac.jp/~kanamaru/research/kanamaru-ijbc2006.pdf

[Abstract]
To study the mechanism by which high-dimensional chaos
emerges in neural systems, the synchronization of chaotic
firings in class 1 pulse neural networks composed of
excitatory and inhibitory ensembles was analyzed. 
In the system with two modules
(i.e., two pulse neural networks), blowout bifurcation and
on-off intermittency were observed when the inter-module
connection strengths were reduced from large values.
In the system with three modules, rearrangement of
synchronized clusters and chaotic itinerancy were observed.
Such dynamics may be one of the mechanisms through which
high-dimensional chaos is generated in neural systems.

Best regards,

Takashi KANAMARU
http://brain.cc.kogakuin.ac.jp/~kanamaru/
Department of Innovative Mechanical Engineering,
Faculty of Global Engineering, Kogakuin University,
2665-1 Nakano, Hachioji-city, Tokyo 192-0015, Japan