Subject: Connectionists: Announcing "Cognitive Computation" (Springer, USA), Vol.1, No.2, June 2009: Table of Contents
From: "Dr. Amir Hussain" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 21:55:51 +0100 (BST)
List-Id: Discussion and announcement of events related to neural computation <connectionists.cs.cmu.edu>

Dear Colleagues:

We are delighted to announce the publication of the second (quarterly)
Issue of Springer's exciting new multi-disciplinary journal in the
neurosciences: "Cognitive Computation" - www.springer.com/12559

The list of published articles (Table of Contents) can be found at the end
of this message.

You will also be pleased to know that ALL (full) articles in Cognitive
Computation will be FREELY AVAILABLE for access through December 31, 2009!
Please ask your library to subscribe for 2010 and beyond!

The full listing of Issue 2 can be viewed here (which includes invited
reviews and original research contributions from leading researchers,
including Giacomo Indiveri, Rodney Douglas, Jurgen Schmidhuber, Thomas
Wennekers, Pentti Kanerva and Friedemann Pulvermuller):
http://www.springerlink.com/content/n6134575mg14/?p=0ae0e58e2b8444c48fc62261e6b6a13f&pi=0

The full listing of the Inaugural Issue 1 can be viewed here (which
includes invited authoritative reviews by leading researchers in their
areas - including keynote papers from London University's John Taylor,
Igor Aleksander and Stanford University's James McClelland, and invited
papers from Kevin Gurney, Ron Sun, Pentti Haikonen, Geoff Underwood,
Claudius Gross, Anil Seth and Tom Ziemke):
http://www.springerlink.com/content/w2826455k852/?p=603724902f224ec4ab2a0e52213f8d3e&pi=0

Other 'Online First' published articles not yet in a print issue can be
viewed here:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/121361/?Content+Status=Accepted

For further information and to sign up for electronic "Table of Contents
alerts" please visit the Cognitive Computation homepage:
http://www.springer.com/biomed/neuroscience/journal/12559

Finally, we would like to invite you to submit short or regular papers
describing original research or timely review of important areas - our aim
is to review all papers within approximately six weeks of receipt. We also
welcome relevant proposals for Special Issues.

With our very best wishes for all aspiring readers and authors of
Cognitive Computation,

Amir Hussain, PhD (Editor-in-Chief: Cognitive Computation)
Igor Aleksander, PhD (Honorary Editor-in-Chief: Cognitive Computation)
John Taylor, PhD (Chair, Advisory Board: Cognitive Computation)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Table of Contents: Springer's Cognitive Computation, Vol.1, No.2, June 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Full listing of Articles, in PDF, is available here:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/n6134575mg14/?p=0ae0e58e2b8444c48fc62261e6b6a13f&pi=0
)

Articles

Artificial Cognitive Systems: From VLSI Networks of Spiking Neurons to
Neuromorphic Cognition
Giacomo Indiveri, Elisabetta Chicca and Rodney J. Douglas

On the Natural Hierarchical Composition of Cliques in Cell Assemblies
Thomas Wennekers

Hyperdimensional Computing: An Introduction to Computing in Distributed
Representation with High-Dimensional Random Vectors
Pentti Kanerva

Recruitment and Consolidation of Cell Assemblies for Words by Way of
Hebbian Learning and Competition in a Multi-Layer Neural Network
Max Garagnani, Thomas Wennekers and Friedemann Pulvermüller

Ultimate Cognition à la Gödel
Jürgen Schmidhuber

Time-Scale Feature Extractions for Emotional Speech Characterization
Applied to Human Centered Interaction Analysis
Mohamed Chetouani, Ammar Mahdhaoui and Fabien Ringeval

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Table of Contents: Springer's Cognitive Computation, Vol.1, No.1, March 2009
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Full listing of Articles, in PDF, is available here:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/w2826455k852/?p=603724902f224ec4ab2a0e52213f8d3e&pi=0
)

Articles

Cognitive Computation : An Introduction
Amir Hussain

Cognitive Computation
John G. Taylor

Is a Machine Realization of Truly Human-Like Intelligence Achievable?
James L. McClelland

Designing Conscious Systems
Igor Aleksander

Reverse Engineering the Vertebrate Brain: Methodological Principles for a
Biologically Grounded Programme of Cognitive Modelling
Kevin N. Gurney

The Role of Associative Processing in Cognitive Computing
Pentti O. A. Haikonen

Explanatory Correlates of Consciousness: Theoretical and Computational
Challenges
Anil Seth

Cognitive Processes in Eye Guidance: Algorithms for Attention in Image
Processing
Geoffrey Underwood

Cognitive Computation with Autonomously Active Neural Networks: An
Emerging Field
Claudius Gros

Motivational Representations within a Computational Cognitive Architecture
Ron Sun

On the Role of Emotion in Embodied Cognitive Architectures: From Organisms
to Robots
Tom Ziemke and Robert Lowe

-- 
Academic Excellence at the Heart of Scotland.
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland, 
 number SC 011159.